This creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup will be your new go-to for busy nights. Gluten- and dairy-free, this soup is made quickly in the Instant Pot and is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.Jump to Recipe
This hearty soup is a meal in a bowl! Coconut milk gives it creaminess without adding dairy and if you use gluten-free gnocchi (like Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi), it’s safe for gluten-free folks, as well.
This soup is very similar to the Chicken Gnocchi Soup at Olive Garden. The only real difference you’ll notice is that I switched out the spinach for frozen peas so that my leaf-phobic children would eat it. And what do you know! That one little tweak was all I needed to get them to gobble this up.
What You Need to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Stalks of Celery
- 4 Carrots
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Pound of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 4 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 13 Ounces of Gnocchi
- 1/2 Cup of Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut Cream
- Instant Pot
How to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Plug in your Instant Pot and press “Saute”.
- Add the olive oil, onion, celery, and carrots to the Instant Pot and saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 – 2 minutes or until you can smell it.
- Add the chicken and saute just until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the thyme, chicken broth, and pepper to taste and attach the lid to the Instant Pot. Close the pressure release valve and press “Cancel”. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to “High” pressure and then press “Pressure Cook” and adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, manually release the pressure by opening the pressure release valve and once the float valve drops, remove the lid from the Instant Pot.
- Press “Cancel” and then press “saute”.
- Add the gnocchi and peas and cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions.
- Add the coconut cream and taste the soup for seasoning. Add salt if you need to.
- You can make this soup gluten-free by using gluten-free gnocchi. I used Trader Joe’s frozen Cauliflower Gnocchi (as you can see in the ingredients picture) and it turned out great.
- If you’d rather use fresh thyme, you’ll need to use 1 tablespoon instead of the 1 teaspoon of dried thyme called for in the recipe.
- If you can stop yourself from eating the whole pot, you should have plenty of leftovers for easy lunches for the rest of the week. Store the soup in a covered container in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend freezing this soup as the coconut cream may separate and the gnocchi may get mushy.
- Wait until the soup is finished cooking to add salt. Your broth might be salty enough on its own. Always tasted the finished product and adjust if necessary.
- I promise you won’t taste the coconut milk at all. If you need to switch it out and can handle dairy, feel free to substitute the same amount of cream.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, Minced
- 4 Large Carrots, Chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Pressed or Minced
- 1 Pound Bonless, Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut into 1 Inch Cubes
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Pepper, to Taste
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 13 Ounces Gnocchi
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- ½ Cup Coconut Cream
- Plug in the Instant Pot and press "Saute".
- Add the olive oil, onion, celery, and carrots to the Instant Pot and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and saute until it is no longer pink.
- Add the thyme, pepper, and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Press "Cancel" and attach the lid to the Instant Pot. Close the pressure release valve. Make sure the Instant Pot is set to "High" pressure, press "Pressure Cook", and adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, press "Cancel" and manually release the pressure by opening the pressure release valve. When the float valve has fallen, open the lid.
- Press "Saute". Add the gnocchi and peas and cook according to the instructions on the gnocchi package. If using frozen gnocchi, there is no need to thaw them first.
- Once the gnocchi are cooked, press "Cancel" and stir in the coconut cream.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt if neccessary.
Looking for more inspiration? Here are some more recipes you might like:
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
- Chicken Meatballs with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil
- Easy Homemade Chili
- How to Make Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Don’t lose this recipe! Click the Pinterest button below and add this post to your Instant Pot Recipes board.