All the flavor of an egg roll but quicker and easier. This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe has an added drizzle of Yum Yum Sauce to make it extra special.Jump to Recipe
I love egg rolls as much as the next girl, but when I needed to start avoiding wheat, they were a no go. That’s why this recipe for an Egg Roll in a Bowl is so great.
Now you can have all the flavor of an egg roll without the wrapper and the deep frying. And not only is this recipe healthier without the wheat and grease, it’s much quicker to make. There’s no rolling that needs to be done, no oil that needs to be heated to *just* the right temperature, no messy clean-up. Just saute all the ingredients and enjoy!
I’ve also added a drizzle of Yum Yum Sauce to this recipe. You can leave it off if you want, but I’ve yet to meet someone who didn’t want to put Yum Yum Sauce all over everything.
What You’ll Need to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce
- Ground Pork, or Other Ground Meat
- Pre-Shredded Cabbage or Cole Slaw Mix
- Shredded or Matchstick Carrots
- Green Onions
- Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- Sesame Oil
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Tomato Paste
- Garlic Powder
- Hot Sauce
- White Pepper
- Large Skillet or Wok
- Small Bowl
- If you do not eat pork, this recipe would be just as delicious with any other ground meat.
- This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe can easily be made to fit the Whole30 diet. Simply use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce or tamari and make sure none of the Yum Yum Sauce ingredients contain sugar.
- This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Simply reheat in a microwave or skillet. It should keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
- If you need to avoid gluten, be sure to use coconut aminos or tamari sauce instead of soy sauce as soy sauce is made with wheat.
- Substitute smoked paprika for the sweet paprika in the Yum Yum Sauce for an interesting, smoky twist.
Egg Roll in a Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce
- Large Skillet or Wok
- Small Bowl
- 2 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- 4 Green Onions, Sliced and the White and Green Divided
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, Minced or Pressed
- 1 Inch Piece of Fresh Ginger, Peeled and Grated
- 1 Pound Ground Pork or Other Ground Meat
- 10 Ounce Bag of Shredded Cabbage or Cole Slaw Mix
- ½ Cup Shredded or Matchstick Carrots
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, Tamari, or Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon White or Black Pepper
- Salt, to Taste
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise (Sugar-free for Whole30)
- 1 Teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Hot Sauce (Sugar-free for Whole30)
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Sugar (Omit for Whole30)
- ¼ Teaspoon White Pepper
- Water, As Needed
Yum Yum Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the Yum Yum Sauce earlier in the day or the night before and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Heat the sesame oil in the skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the white parts of the green onion and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground meat, garlic, and ginger and saute until the meat is cooked through and any liquid has evaporated.
- Add the carrots and cabbage and saute just until the cabbage becomes tender. This does not take long, maybe a minute or two.
- Add the soy sauce or coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, and pepper, and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Serve on its own or over rice or cauliflower rice and drizzle with the Yum Yum Sauce.
Don’t lose this recipe! Click the Pinterest button below and save this to your Easy Meals board.