This healthy Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup recipe will stick to your ribs! All the flavors of Grandma’s cabbage rolls without all of the work. Just throw everything in the Instant Pot and walk away!Jump to Recipe
Once upon a time, Trader Joe’s carried Beef Cabbage Rolls in the freezer section. I never tried them and they’ve been discontinued, which is probably a good thing. Apparently, they were not good!
I promise this soup tastes way better than the rolls TJs had and it is so easy to make. I’ve been making this cabbage roll soup recipe for a few years and it always hits the spot. It has all the makings of a stuffed cabbage roll without all of the work. No boiling cabbage leaves, no messy rolling. Just throw it in your Instant Pot and it will be done in no time. Plus, it makes enough to have lunch leftovers for days.
- Trader Joe’s prices their onions per item not per pound, so I always look for the biggest one. If your onion isn’t the size of a softball, feel free to chop up the whole thing.
- I find that if I don’t immediately stir the ground turkey well, it cooks into little worms that just don’t look as nice as chunks. If you like turkey worms, then you do you.
- Another note about turkey: this is one of the few ways that I think ground turkey tastes good. If you just can’t stand it, lean ground beef would also be delicious (and more traditional).
- I’ve used several different types of pasta sauce and it always turns out delicious. Use whatever is your favorite.
- Most traditional cabbage rolls have rice in them. I make this without because I don’t regularly eat grains for health reasons, but you could serve this over cooked rice for those who would like it.
- You can easily make this Whole30 by using the Trader Joe’s canned marinara sauce.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, drop whatever you’re doing and buy one now. Why wait all day for a slow cooker? The Instant Pot can get the same job done in a fraction of the time. In minutes, I can make something that tastes like it’s been cooking for hours. I love mine and use it several times a week. The links below (affiliate) will take you to Amazon so you can get your own Instant Pot today.
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- 1/2 Package of Shredded Cabbage
- 28 Ounces Pasta Sauce
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- Salt, to Taste
- Pepper, to Taste
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil, onion, and bell pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute another minute or until fragrant. Add the ground turkey and saute until no longer pink.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Go easy on the salt at this point because the flavors will intensify during pressure cooking and it is always easier to add salt than it is to subtract it.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to "sealed". Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook and adjust the time to 15:00. When cooking is complete, release the pressure manually. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Here are some other recipes you might be interested in:
- Instant Pot Guide: How to Start Using Your New Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Make sure you can find this recipe again by clicking the Pinterest button below and pinning it to your Instant Pot Recipes board.